Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Estate Sale

While we're on the topic of Dr. Smith, I'll include a few paragraphs on a piece of ephemera I acquired a few months ago. It's entitled "Rare American History and Miscellaneous Books Executor's Sale of the Estate of Dr. George Smith". Held by Stan V. Henkels, Auction Commission Merchant the estate sale took place on Wednesday, July 17, 1918. The pamphlet outlines Dr. Smith's broad collection of books and offers an unique glimpse into a turn of the century collection. It's a fun way to compare my collection with that of an original Delaware County book collector. His library illustrates his love of history and science.

Another aspect of the book that I love is the order form that's been sitting between it's pages for the last 100 years. It's a nice edition to the piece. If only I had a time machine and could attend that auction!

No comments:

Post a Comment